Changing Your Wireless Network Channel Pace 4111N
Article date: 9/8/2009
Hawaiian Telcom Wireless Modem's Frequently Asked Questions
How does a Wireless Network operate?
A network simply connects each computer to a centrally located hub or router. We will supply all of the necessary equipment to get your network up and running.
Why would I want a Wireless Network?
Wireless networking connects more than one computer together to share numerous resources such as your High-Speed Internet Access connection or even your printer. This allows more than one PC to access the Internet at the same time. A Wireless Network can increase the usefulness of your home computers in numerous ways:
- Share Files - Sharing files between computers gives you more flexibility than using floppy drives or Zip drives. Share photos, music files, and documents and even save backup copies of critical data on a different PC.
- Share Printers - Once your network is up and running, it's easy to set up all of your computers to share the same printer.
- Share Your Internet Connection - Use your network so that everyone in your family can access the Internet at the same time.
- Multiplayer Gaming - Many popular home computer games support "LAN mode" where friends and family can play together, if they have their computers networked.
- Computer Mobility - Notebook computers and other portable devices are much more affordable than they were a few years ago. With a laptop computer and wireless home network, you aren't chained to a network cord and can work on the couch, on your porch, or wherever in the house is most convenient at the moment.
- Go Wireless - Sure, business can afford to lay cable under their floors or inside walls. But most of us don't have the time or inclination to fuss with this in our homes. Unless you own one of the few newer homes pre-wired with network cable, you'll save substantial time and energy avoiding the abling mess and going wireless.
How do I setup my wireless router?
It’s easy with our installation guide included with your wireless router.
- Connect the modem to the phone jack and add filters to your phones,
- Plug in the modem,
- Test your connection by plugging the ethernet cable from the modem into your computer - if the connection is live then unplug the ethernet cable from your computer. Your wireless router is now ready to add on other wireless connections.
How do I get my laptop hooked up to the internet?
Again, make sure the modem is working properly by first testing the connection. Connect the ethernet cable to your computer and be sure you can get online. Then disconnect the ethernet and if your laptop does not automatically pick up the new connection, the best thing to do is to consult your operating system for instructions on adding a wireless connection.
Windows | Mac
Can I have more than one PC on the Internet and still talk on the phone?
Absolutely! One of the main benefits to having a wireless network is that you can have multiple PC's accessing the Internet at blazing fast speeds and still have full access to your telephone to make and receive phone calls.